Friday, February 10, 2012

Eisblumen



This is the view through my bedroom window - well not exactly through - I guess, 'of' would be more to the point. Or shall we say - this is what I see when I try to see the view from my bedroom window... It has been this way for two weeks. It's actually quite lovely - if it weren't so cold... we call this 'Eisblumen' = ice flowers. As you may or may not have heard - it has been extremely cold in Europe these last two weeks. They say the icy frost will let up a bit next week. Good news. But they also say, we are going to get a ....load of the s-word. You know, that white stuff. Not so good news. Although, if I had to choose - well, give me some of the white stuff. If it means bearable temps, I'm all for it... just for this once...


The rising sun. Interesting - the sky is apricot pink and the earth is still shrouded in blue tones.


The angel's wing is laid bare of sheltering foliage...


Interesting also how the snow makes the face of this garden sculpture more visible...


Frosty early morning impression...

I have the impression that all this icy winter is going to find its way into my jewelry soon - but for now, I have to go throw some wood on the fire...

Edit: just wanted to say - we don't have it that bad - although the temps have gone down to -20° some nights - but there are many people much worse off in the rest of Europe... there have been many deaths. We do have a roof over our heads and heating - the cats are getting their food warmed, so we are thankful...

14 comments:

Gayle said...

Your eisblumen is beautiful, but I hope you all get some relief from the cold soon. Can't wait to see how this inspires you!!

Flotsam Tide said...

The Eisblumen is really lovely, like a painting, also I love your angel's wing and garden sculptures. Your place has such a serene beauty in winter. Sending you warm wishes.

Unknown said...

Too bad you have to have such horrid weather to get such beautiful photos. I had heard it was bad this year in Europe, but I didn't see any photos til yours. And now to have snow coming, yuck. Our perpetual gray days with rain four out of 7 days doesn't sound so bad now.

How are the cats all coping with this?

Luthien Thye said...

ahhhh ... SNOW!! i WANT snow so bad!! ... i miss it so much. we're always in a toaster oven over here. the photos are so pretty especially the frost on the glass. that would make a really nice background for digi-art :)and i am going to steal that clock off your wall one day! you just wait!

SummersStudio said...

I can almost feel the cold looking at the winter palette of your photos. Brr. It has been many years since I have seen that much frost built up on windows. My grandmother called it eisblumen as well. It is really beautiful.

Vintajia Adornments said...

Sending you a pocket full of Aussie sunshine to warm you

sharon said...

I didn't realize what is going on in your neck of the woods. Our winter has been unseasonally warm, and I am thankful. I feel for you because I cannot tolerate the cold at all , even though your tones patterns, and colors look so lovely. Hope it inspires you in your creativity! Sending you warm thoughts!

Charade said...

Why is snow so beautiful to look at, yet so unbearable to deal with? Your eisblumen are so pretty they are almost worth the cold.

Cindy said...

Hello Renate! I remember last winter all of your posts on the freezing weather - and the beautiful pictures, and today's post sounds like more of the same. I feel for you and others in European cities, that are enduring such miserable cold. I would rather have hot weather than cold any day, you know that! :-) Please keep warm..and thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures. I especially love the rising sun!

mairedodd said...

the eisblumen is breathtaking - (i guess literally too as well, hmmm?) it's ok to say how cold it is - you have been working at keeping yourselves warm for weeks... hoping that soon, the sun will begin to warm your world...

Valerianna said...

Love the ice! We have had such spring-like temperatures, hardly any snow and we are all wondering what happened to winter? I guess you all have stolen ours!! I look forward to seeing how the eisblumen will show up in your work. Stay warm!

Anonymous said...

Hi Renate. Your Eisblumen is so pretty.The exterior of your dwelling is so inviting with such aesthetically interesting adornments. love it. Hope there is relief from such biting cold in the coming weeks.

Silke Powers said...

Liebe Renate,

I keep hearing and reading about the winter in Europe and I feel so bad for all the people who are cut off from civilization without electricity or heat. I'm glad you are staying warm and feeling inspired!!

Thinking of you often! Hugs, Silke

Petra Carpreau said...

What beautiful pictures, Renate! I hope you've managed to keep yourself warm over there. Your gorgeous pusscats have got the right idea all snuggled up together - soooooooo cute!!! Looking forward to seeing what icy beauties you'll be inspired to make.
xx