Sunday, April 22, 2012

earth day unfurling (every day!) and Sunday flea market

Unfurling - a word full of potential, possibilities, perhaps even promises. I like it. Unfurling. I like the way it rolls off the tongue...
I also like these, unfurling


I feel I have some ideas that are slowly unfurling in my studio and I love to watch the ferns unfurl. There is something so fascinating and mysterious about the process. And so archaic - ferns have been around for a very long time.

The sun was shining when I took the above photo. Today - well, not so much. It is April, after all. And the weather is determined to prove that. It looks like this today...


 Dark grey skies, heavy with rain clouds. But the pear tree is starting to open its blossoms.

I ventured out to the flea market, despite the weather - and yes, we do often have uncomfortable weather when there is a flea market - knowing full well it would be sparingly attended and despite the fact that it was 7° and threatening to rain. What can I say? I mean, besides: 'Hello, my name is Renate and I am addicted to flea marketing'... ? Well, I could tell you what I found, which is a much more interesting subject anyway.


A cast - not stamped - brass escutcheon and some delicate turned wood furniture finials. These are tiny!


A couple of interesting and unusual charms - a couple of religious souveniers, a very small animal horn that has been drilled through (don't know why that was done) and a tiny pocket knife - this is doll sized, less than an inch long, I think.

 

Silver plated sugar tongs - just look at those cool talons! Couldn't pass them up.



A very antique drawer from a sewing machine, which will need some TLC to retrieve its good looks. These are not easy to come by here. I think they are all in some elderly men's tool rooms, filled with tools and screws and nails and doodads that nobody can identify... and wouldn't I love to go poking around in those... ahem. 
Well, you know it is all about recycling, reusing, repurposing. Avoiding land fill. And finding treasures... Wishing everyone a wonderful Sunday and Earth Day!

19 comments:

Jenni said...

You always find such great stuff! The drawer reminds me I have one somewhere..it used to have florists foam and a dried flower arrangement in in years ago...must look. love the talons too...
Jenni

mairedodd said...

glad you headed out to the market! lots of neat things with huge potential - you must have a fully developed searching eye - i mean, it gets all of that great practice and exercise(just sayin')... because i often wonder if i could 'see' what you do under the same circumstances...

Hopemore Studio said...

Good treasures today Renate! Love it all, the tiny wood finials are delightful.

I only split and took kind one plant when we moved last fall, it was my ferns. They look so delicate but have a fullness and beauty like no other.

Beatnheart said...

Good morning from California! You find the best stuff Renate ... what a fab eye! Thanks for all and gimme that little glass charm!

Sandra said...

Hello, I see you're still finding treasures at the flea market. Great finds!

Maggie Zee said...

Spring is unfolding indeed! I can't wait to see what beautiful piece you make with those incredible sugar tongs. We just don't have interesting flea markets here on Long Island. The Manhattan antique dealers scooped all the good stuff up years ago and now charge a fortune for it.

Lela said...

So much cool stuff! Very cool charms.

sharon said...

Love your flea finds...very cool, and I know you will make then cooler!!
Temps are lousy here also, lots of rain, cold, yucky week, snow more north.....I hope it passes soon.

Riki Schumacher said...

Great treasures Renate!! Good job in hunting. Love the claw tongs! Hugs, Riki

Numinosity said...

I love it that both you and Maire Dodd had unfurling fiddleheads right in a row on my blogroll. Quite a put together look you two!
Good flea finds for sure. Glad you made a good day out of it.
xoxo KIm

alek said...

terrific finds - can see things in all the things, and you'll have fun with them
the draws great - i love finding small draws
isnt the unfurling of spring lovely

Barry said...

S/R - thanks for the great images to celebrate ED. As NB said I also was intrigued to see unfurling fronds on both yours and MJ's blogs - great global serendipity. And good that the spring is there to allow you to get back out the markets and find treasures. I had a heap of stuff given to me this week. It has forced me to take time out to dismantle things; clean up my benches; sort stuff; re-gift things ; and generally get myself sorted again. Go well. B

SooZeQue said...

Those ferns - just beautiful - I swear I can see them slowly opening. Oh and Flea Markets I get in so much trouble there. Just yesterday I called my friend "hey can I borrow your horse trailer"... I need to bring something home! Oh man, now where to put it 6ft x 8ft. I go big or go home! ha ha. Love all the gems you found.

Luthien Thye said...

oh wow ... those ferns!!! so so so beautiful and you captured every luscious detail! as always ... you are the Flea Queen ... by the end of the post when i saw that DRAWER!!! i think i just turned into the fern myself ... not the unfurling part, but green part (O_O)

ANNETTE HUSBAND said...

OMG Renate
you find and make the coolest things. I'm hopping in South Australia I will get to get some antique finds at last...first I have to survive the big move LOL
hugs
Annette In Oz

Lori Anderson said...

Your finds always make me so happy (and a little jealous!) Have a lovely week!

Cindy said...

Hi Renate...just checking in to see what you are up to in your part of the world. :-) Seems like your weather is just like ours around the DC area - chilly and cold one day and then sunny another. Luckily the sun is poking through around here and I was able to wear sandals today (my favorite time of year!). I always love to see what you find at the flea market. Looks like you were rewarded for braving the weather! :-)

Carla Trujillo said...

Loving those tongs!! Great finds as usual!!Thanks for sharing!

ArtPropelled said...

I had a drawer like that! I'm enjoying browsing through your blog and loving your jewellery and looking at your flea market finds.