Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sunday flea market

It is a warm sunny day - perfect for the flea market. And what a colourful flea market it was!


Max always enjoys a table full of hardware.


Carved ivory tusks - imagine how huge the elephant must have been...


One seller had only doll's houses and doll's furniture. This apothecary was just too gorgeous.


Sometimes we see really unusual stuff - like this baby carriage, probably from the late 50's or early 60's.


The absolute attraction of the flea market this Sunday were these two visitors - with their huge dog and the parrot perched on her hand. I would have loved a couple of those gorgeous blue feathers...

 Oh yes, I did bring home a bit of stuff...


A vintage necklace sample card - which I will dismantle - I wanted those unusual faceted cat's eye beads...


Some vintage religious medals - these will need some work...


A handful of beads - bone, horn, wood, shell...


These are my favorite finds of the day - from an old doll factory in Thuringia - with a patina you just can't imitate. They look like ancient relics, something you would see in a museum... absolutely fabulous!

Max brought home some new herbs the other evening - I am off to plant them in pots for the herb garden ...
wishing you a wonderful Sunday!!

16 comments:

mairedodd said...

what a great market! visitors and all.... i have to pick the doll factory pieces for my favorites - you are right about them looking like ancient relics... i am fascinated with them...
hope your garden is flourishing...

lilylovekin said...

Looks like a beautiful day for a market, I love the dog and the bird I wonder it they are friends? Your doll parts are great. Enjoy your day in the garden.

Silke Powers said...

What a perfect way to spend your Sunday morning - and then all the treasures you came home with. Just perfect!! The little doll parts remind me of some of the milagros, which people leave behind in churches sometimes... Happy Sunday!! Love, Silke

Diane said...

Great stuff at your flea markets! Love the Macaw. I used to have one like that. When my husband passed away I donated her to a sanctuary as I became overwhelmed with caring for 3 parrots & 7 cats. That was 18 months ago. I still miss them but we visit them regularly. They are much better off at the sanctuary. Happy SUnday!
xo Diane

Beverly Herman said...

I love going to the flea market with you. It's always a delight to see the things you find and share.

Judy said...

What a nice market day you had! Great finds as usual....flea markets are always the best place to people watch.

Riki Schumacher said...

Love that doll apothecary, and the doll pieces a amazing! Thanks for sharing! Riki

sharon said...

Amazing pieces Renate...especially the doll pieces! Looks like you had an amazing day too! The flea market is the best place for me to be fascinated!

romantic decay said...

Great finds, looks like you had a wonderful time.

The Joy of Nesting said...

Yoo Hoo Hermanita!!!

Another fabulous flea-market Sunday!! Makes a sister drool, don't ya know!!

Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mx.

Esther said...

oh lovely baby carriage!!! love the jewelry you've found too, those aluminium medals can be painted with alcool inks and glaze to make faux enamel!

Carla Trujillo said...

Whew! For a minute there I thought you were not going to buy anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That would have been a crime!
Thanks for sharing your weekly flea finds!

Anonymous said...

oh how i want to be your neighbor and flea market buddy! your finds are always soooo very magnificent!! i lovelovelove it all!!

i will be planting herbs this weekend too. :)

also, i wanted to let you know that i've just done the drawing for kerin's book tour and YOU were one of the winners. if you could pop by and send me the appropriate info, that would be fantastic.

thanks much, lady!!

xx
a

Cindy said...

Hello Renate
I've enjoyed your latest installment of flea market finds! It's so nice to see that the weather is finally enjoyable...I remember how bitter cold it was when you went. That first picture is so intriguing, with the table full of treasures. I love the vintage baby carriage...so sweet that someone held on to it for so long. Just think how old the "baby" is now that once rode in it! And I love the doll factory finds, especially the horse. I've never seen a horse find like. I can see why these were your favorites!

creativelenna said...

wow, it all looks so enticing, Renate. There is a flea market here in Florida, but it looks a little commercial with some store under a barn that are there all the time -I will check it out sometime just in case I might see some things like you do here! the couple with the parrot and the great dane, wow! I am glad you are enjoying warmer weather now. : ) lenna

Vintajia Adornments said...

What a perfect day! Sunshine, interesting people and doings and lots of treasures!