Sunday, November 8, 2009

WHAT? HOW many more days until Christmas??

It is that time of year again. In Germany, the four weeks before Christmas are called Advent – the four Sundays before Christmas Eve are Advent Sundays and first one candle is lighted, on the next Sunday two and so on. You might have heard about this tradition. In Germany, this is the decorating highlight of the year and in November - before Advent begins - there are Advent “exhibitions” in shops and at florists etc., which are visited by swarms of women (sometimes with their husbands) looking for those special extras to decorate with and to get started with Christmas shopping. In the past couple of years, I have had a little shop here at the grange, where I sell home and garden decorations, gifts and such things. I have an Advent exhibition on two weekends in November. Starting next weekend, to be more specific.
So, what am I doing on the blog?

Well, I just wanted to let you know that there will be a shortage of flea market treasures here for a while. Because I am cleaning up the shop and decorating and decorating and decorating... Well, you get the idea. As you can witness below, I still have a ways to go. Nothing but chaos yet.





Wait, wait - I still want to show you the earrings I received via the Thanksgiving Treasure Earring Exchange, that was organized by dear Leslie of Bei Mondi! Take a look at these beauties!



Sent to me from Shelby of Sundown Bead Designs - thank you so much, Shelby, these are fabulous!
Gorgeous copper earrings with fused circles. I love how the Swarovski crystals and the olivine jasper exactly match the colours in the beautiful lampwork beads!
I apologize for the poor quality of the photos - we are having very dreary weather and I can't seem to get any good macro shots, either with or without a flash.

Anyway, I have to get back to jingle bells and Santa s.... no, no, snowflakes and pine cones and that sort of thing!

15 comments:

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Is that your shop window? Great post and blessings dear.

Narrative jewelry said...

This is the sort of chaos i like to see Renate ;-) Ooooh and i can see some round robins on a shelf, no ? Sure you will make beautiful creations for your Advent's exhibitions. May be some pictures...
The earrings you received from Shelby are just so lovely.
It seems green inspired many of our designers. Leslie had a wonderful idea with this Thanksgiving Treasure Earring Exchange. Thanks to her.

Kisses.

SummersStudio said...

Your chaos looks quite organized to me. More photos as things progress? Please.

Advent candle lighting was a tradition in our family as well. In our church, a wreath of greenery held the 4 white candles and was decorated with the most beautiful deep purple ribbon. In fact I haven't thought about that for a long time. So it is lovely that you've sparked this cherished memory.

Ah, and Shelby's earings are beautiful. Green and copper. Perfect for you, no?

Judy said...

I can't wait to see the pictures of when you are finished decorating. Oh it is such a fun chaos!

Absolutely LOVE the earrings, lucky girl you!

Doreen said...

Garden decorations....mmmmmmmm...garden decorations!! I want to come buy garden decorations!! How fun to set up shop!

I love the earrings. They really are a perfect color for you.

lilylovekin said...

Your earrings are wonderful. I'm really into hammered metal these days. Love the contrast between the metal and the beads. How great to get a package in the mail.

Cindy said...

I didn't realize you had the shop, Renate. I'm learning lots of new things about you! :-) I'm going to enjoy following you along this advent journey...yes it is coming up soooooo quick!! Please share more pictures!
Shelby's earrings rock! I just knew she would make something amazing...what gorgeous beads she used..and her spirals and wirework are perfect as always! You're a lucky exchange recipient!!

Leslie @ Bei Mondi said...

Please share the pictures of the show! We can't wait to see. Shelby's earrings are lovely with the copper and blues/greens. What a nice treat!

Sherry said...

Beautiful earrings and will look so well with your complexion and hair colour!!!

I do know about Advent in Germany but hadn't realized that there are events in November as well.

If those photographs are "chaos" I'm impressed...I thought things looked quite nice!! I can only imagine how impressive everything is going to look when you are all set up. Do share photographs when all is done and wishing you much success with your sales!! I think you won't need any luck -- I'm thinking you'll do very well indeed!

sharon said...

Ohhhh, how I want to shop at your SHOP...it's looks beautiful right now!! Really lovely Renate, and I hope you show us more!!
Beautiful earrings you got in your exchange!

Unknown said...

Renate, so glad that you like the earrings...I was starting to wonder if and when you would get them.

The holiday decorating looks fabulous! Can't wait to see more pictures of your shop.

Silke Powers said...

I love the advent time, which is a tradition here as well among the Catholics. I remember as a child, it was such a peaceful time and so mysterious, filled with the smell of cookies baking, candles lit, pine branches filling the house and the anticipation of Christmas.

I can't wait to see pictures of your little shop when it's all ready to go! I wish I could come by to browse and buy one or the other treasure...

Hugs, Silke

P.S. Wonderful earrings you got in the mail! They'll look great on you!!

Esther said...

super Chaos!!! we love it!! i'm suuuure that these earrings are just for you!! exactelly all you like!! i'm so happy for you!!

Unknown said...

If I were over there, I would certainly dip into your shop, based on the what you have happening now!

I can see why you don't have time to spend on your PSE right now! Much more important things to do.

Good luck with your set up and hope you have time for more pics of your shop as it gets all set up...would love to see it!

Barbara Lewis said...

Where's the chaos exactly?! I guess that's a pretty good indication of my threshold! Great earrings by Shelby. I'll be looking forward to inviting home and garden photos until you can get back to the flea market again!