Tuesday, March 30, 2010

my new anvil

On Sunday, I showed you the anvil that was calling my husband's name. Well, after we got home, he disappeared outside into his workshop (that's where all the big tools and dangerous looking machines are).

Now the anvil looks like this:

It has been sanded and smoothed, the rust removed and polished. I believe it is maybe 80-90 years old, but I am just guessing. This one doesn't have the year of its making on it, as the others often do.

And because an anvil needs a sturdy stand, so that you can really swing the hammer (not that this is actually very necessary on the scale of work that I am doing...), he sweet talked one of our woodworking neighbour's out of a piece of tree trunk. Now look at this:



This is not just your everyday tree trunk. It is American Red Oak. He says. I wasn't even aware there was such a thing (although, so as not to look as though I only know something about jewelry, I am aware that there are very many different kinds of oak in the world). Those of you that know your wood will also know that this is hardwood. Meaning the woodfibers (it that the right word?) are very dense, and therefore the wood is very heavy. My husband removed all the bark and sanded it down smooth and leveled both top and bottom. Then he proceeded to create those very heavy iron bands to go around the trunk. To prevent the wood from splitting apart as it now dries. Doesn't it look impressive?
Thank you, Max!

Now I'm wondering if I'll be creating more heavy metal jewelry in future...

22 comments:

Unknown said...

Thats a pretty beautiful Anvil! My X was a horseshoer and had a really old one too. Anvils are like very old trees like a redwood...you just have alot of respect for them! We forged many hot horseshoes on his. Ive got a small 15 pound one funny how tho its small Ive got such respect for it bc its an Anvil...i know you are proud.

lunedreams said...

that is a spectacular piece of art!! and fully functional and very handy. NICE!!! (I could see a lovely flowering plant atop it...)

Anonymous said...

Renate, ich sehe schon, die Schmuckstücke werden größer:-) Wirklich schön, wie dein Mann den Amboss in neuen Glanz versetzt hat. Und dann noch den Holzstamm - ist doch schön, wenn man so verwöhnt wird:-) Alles Liebe und eine gute Osterwoche, Inge

Diva Kreszl said...

your husband is just a man after my own heart...what an amazing transformation!

Barry said...

That is one serious anvil, Renate! And a thing of beauty too.

Barry said...

By the way, inclase you're confused about the difference between hard and soft wood, here is what wikipeadia has to say:

"Hardwood contrasts with softwood which comes from conifer trees, which usually are not broad-leaved. Hardwoods are not necessarily harder than softwoods. In both groups there is an enormous variation in actual wood hardness, with the range in density in hardwoods completely including that of softwoods; some hardwoods (e.g. balsa) are softer than most softwoods, while yew is an example of a hard softwood. The hardest hardwoods are much harder than any softwood. There are about a hundred times as many hardwoods as softwoods."

Now I bet you're more confused than before you started.

mermaiden said...

I can see you wielding Thor's hammer while Wagner is playing in the background!

Sharon said...

You must have Max take a picture of you wielding a hammer upon that mythic anvil!

romantic decay said...

Great setup, I'm jealous. Have fun using it.

Createology said...

What a wonderful treasure...both the anvil and your hubby for fixing it up so beautifully. Happy creating...

Diane said...

Hi Renate, That is really a beautiful anvil. My husband was a member of the California Blacksmith Assn. for several years so I am somewhat familiar with anvils. I bet your hysband is thrilled. What a wonderful stand he's made to place it on. I'll be watching for some new pieces from you:>)

Judy said...

Oh Renate, you have a husband like mine...we are so lucky! I love the anvil and the wood stump...it really looks so cool!

lilylovekin said...

Your husband must love you alot to spend so much time and thought into making and giving you such a gift. It is absolutely wonderful.

jeanette said...

oh my, that's a beauty. I have been searching high and low for an anvil just like that!! You are so lucky and what a sweet husband!

The Joy of Nesting said...

Oh My Good God Hermanita,

Your baby is truly a thing of incredible beauty, right down to her beautiful black corset!!! Can't you just feel all the amazing positive, creative energy of all the artisans who have caressed her through the ages!!!!

Yep no doubt about it Max Rocks!!!!

Pattie ;)
Mazatlan Mx.

PS. My tiny little 4 pounder just caught a glimps of your baby and sighed saying that's what she wants to be when she grows up :)

Narrative jewelry said...

Wow Renate, your husband did an incredible work with this piece of tree ! It seems to be a piece of art now ! May be a beautiful plant on it now, as says Keirsten...

Leslie @ Bei Mondi said...

Whoa! How impressive! Can't wait to see what you make with the new tool.

Unknown said...

Its a work of art!!! I would want it in the house just to gaze at and touch!!! He is very talented!!

Cindy said...

Max was so inspired..hard to believe he just bought this old anvil on Sunday and has already created a custom stand for it. I know you will create many wonderful pieces with this in the future...there's just something so special about it - and brings you both together! :-)

Esther said...

i want to see you behind this big anvil!!! beautiful piece!! old are the best!

Pretty Things said...

You know, call me silly, but I think that's pretty!

Carla Trujillo said...

That tree trunk will make a great sturdy base for that anvil! I took a jewelry class a few Summers ago with an old friend and he used a very tall tree trunk set in his work space to do metal work. It was an awesome set up.
Your looks great!!